College Bowl Games

AP Images

This is the time of year people look forward to exchanging gifts, seeing family and friends for the holidays and just plain out relaxing. For others such as myself, a big sports fan the college football bowl season is another reason to get excited for this time of the year. But this year I was disappointed for what usually is a good time.

Why are teams allowed to play in bowl games if they are 6-6? Does a .500 season truly make that team and it's fans feel happy about the past season that they just went through? The Florida Gators and the Ohio St. Buckeyes are playing in the Gator Bowl with the same 6-6 record. Forget about the name on the front of the jerseys and just look at the body of work this season. Raise your hand if that game is enticing to you at all? And if you are a Gator or Buckeye fan you don't count.

These weird names for these games have to stop. The Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas and The Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl sound really intriguing. I understand sponsors have a big say in sports today and any businesses would be dumb to turn down money but come on now. The Advocare V100 Independence Bowl and Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl St. Petersburg are two of my favorites.

My last gripe is the fact that there are no games on New Year's Day this time around. No Rose Bowl, no Cotton Bowl and no aforementioned Gator Bowl on that day. Since I could remember I looked forward to the New Year with some bowl games and my mom's traditional soup which I really don't like. Sorry mom. games are being pushed back as far as Jan 9 and that is the BCS Championship game between LSU and Alabama. And the day before is the game between Arkansas St. and Northern Illinois for the prestigious GODADDY.com Bowl.

After reading this you might think that I will not watch the bowl games this season but I have been and will continue to watch. I just remember the good old days of games ending on the Jan. 2 or 4 and calling it a year.
SHARE
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment